I am sharing the visit report of Vivekananda public school in Banjara hills.
Date of Visit: 9th August 2009
Members Visited: Rashmi, Jayasree
Purpose of visit:
- To visit and identify an organisation that can partner with IS in hyd.
- To provide support in terms of note books and fill other functional gaps
Key points observed during the visit:
- A 26 yr old organisation started by Mr.Murthy (whom we met) and is been run very successfully.
- It is a school for slum children, orphans and for people who cannot afford education by any means.
- It is an English medium school and has classes from LKG to 10th with 340 students.
- They are 16 paid teachers and on an average they are paid from rs.2000-6000 a month.
- This organisation is supported on need basis now and then by some philanthropist and some organisations.
- Delloite has contributed one computer lab with 8 computers however there is no ongoing financial support.
- The corporate support was not possible so far because they did not have 80G, however they have obtained it this month and we have a copy for proof.
- There is no fixed or a complete corporate support by any organisation on a consistent basis.
What can we do?
- To begin with we can ask some of volunteers of IS from hyd to visit this place.
- We can provide the notebooks that we have for this academic year with our hyd voluteers. It will be good kick start in AP.
For long term:
- The premises is too small and the class rooms are congested with just a small partition between (Ref to pics) (It is a rented space)
- The Founder said they had to turn out 200 children because of lack of space to accommodate more children.
- The ceiling is asbestos roof and the children find it too hot during summer.
- There is no flooring (too rough) done in the first floor.
- To pay the teachers is the toughest part and they don’t get any support for this.
- There monthly budget is Rs.1,40,000 including food, rent salary and everything , they manage to get 50% funds and they struggle for rest 50%.
- They have only one teacher to teach computer one more teacher will help to make this reach all the students.
- Uniforms shoes stationeries etc are also to be provided on year-on-year basis.
- I think that this organisation is one of most suitable organisation for us to adapt for the following reasons.
- It is accessible from office as it is in Banjara hills road no. 2 and local volunteer involvement seems to be possible.(as most of them will be in hitech city)
- This is been running from a long time and they shown results by ensuring employment to their students.
- The founder is a single man is dedicated towards this noble service.
- Though they are receiving some sort of help in terms of food (enough for 220 out of 340) there is a scope for us to do much more.
Vivekandanda Public School
Plot. 38 Journalists Colony Road no.3 Banjara Hills
Hyderabad – 500034
Phone Number: 040-2335-5996