Tirupattur, Vellore(Dt), Tamil Nadu
On sunday(Mar 16,2008) myself & Uday visited Tirupattur in Vellore District, TamilNadu. The main purpose of the visit was to see the learning centre being run by Saravanan & his team.(Manam maralttum Trust)
The main idea for the tution/learning centre(Manam Malarattum trust) is to give enthusiastic & bright Govt schools from Rural areas more coaching for enabling them score more in 12th exams. The centre is located in Tirupattur caters to surrounding villages – Mittor, Kursilapattu, Kunichi, Kuruberi, Jayapuram.
The group has been running the centre “FREE OF COST ” to these poor Rural students. FOr past 4-5 years they have been running this centre. Over the years they have been supporting many enngg students, nursing, B.sc/ teacher training to poor students who successfully came of this tution centre.
In summer, (Apr, May)classes are organised daily while during acedemic times, in the weekend(2 days a week). During summer some students are even given bus pass(school students pass free in TN only to-fro in home-school route & no pass during summer holidays) Cost is 300/head for 2 months of bus pass.
Their future aim is to build a model school which gives free & quality education to rural students.
– Currently there are 4 tachers (Maths, Bio, Chem, Phy). Previously they had even for Accountancy, Economics, Commerce.
– But due to lack of funds accountacy, economics, commerce teachers stopped. Saravanan has requested to fund these 3 teachers.
– He feels that this group of 3 sunjects(acc, comme, eco.) is ignored & students from this group need mroe coaching. Only then they can enter good degree college/Charted account/.
– Salary of teacher is 1000/month for all subjects. In summer 2 months the salary is 5000/- since it is full time for teachers. We would see & try to fund the 3 tution teachers.
– There are 3/4 students who are on verge of drop out. Once we have full info on them, we can pay the school fee depening on the cost.